Monday, 19 March 2012

Chestnuts, Chestnuts, Chestnuts

If you hadn't guessed this blog post is about chestnuts. Chestnuts for me are the essence of nostalgia, hunting around under trees for a fallen green casing containing a horse chestnut. Once a "winner" was found I'd go running to my dad so he could drill a hole in the centre, thread a shoelace through, paint it with clear nail varnish and attempt to beat my brother at "Conkers"

I have since developed a fondness for their taste not just the satisfaction of smashing them together. At Christmas I adore going to the German market and getting a bag o roasted chestnuts.

I find chestnuts to be rather diverse & regularly use them in sweet and savoury dishes. They are brilliant as they a lower in calories than other nuts, contain very little fat and no cholesterol.

I enjoy making chestnut cupcakes with a chocolate frosting topping as the nuts are perfect with chocolate but the recipe I'm going to show you is a chestnut stuffing that is now my mother in laws favourite.

50g pecans, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
25g butter
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
1 packet cooked chestnuts , finely chopped
5 good-quality pork sausages
140g fresh white breadcrumbs
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2 tsp chopped thyme leaves
2 tsp finely chopped sage
Zest of 1 lemon

Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan, tip in the onion and garlic, and fry for a few mins until softened. Stir in the chestnuts and chopped pecans, then tip into a large bowl and cool. Squeeze the sausages from their casings and add to the bowl with the nut mixture. Add the breadcrumbs, parsley, thyme, sage, lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead and chilled.) Put stuffing mixture into a baking dish. Bake stuffing in the oven for 25-30 mins.

Give it a try with a roast chicken & let me know what you think!!

No Drama!! Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave any comment, question or opinion on my blog. I'd love to hear from you and your experiences.

Thank you!