Friday, 12 October 2012

Compelling reading...

No picture of food today folks, instead I wish to share with you some books that have inspired me, have been bought for me and have a little place in my heart.

Tasting Italy: A Culinary Journey by Alice Vollenweider. This little gem is my tasting guide to Italy. I have always wanted to go to Italy and myself and my fiancé will be honeymooning there.
The book goes through different parts of Italy and what produce reigns supreme in each region (ricotta from Umbria, artichokes from Sardinia, white beans from Florence, bread from Tuscany etc). The only thing wrong with this book is that I'm not there tasting the wonders.

Favourite Welsh Recipes by Sheila Howells. My family are Welsh, I grew up with my Nanna June making welsh cakes(Pice Ar Y Maen) a kind of drop scone cooked on a hot griddle and my dad makes the best Welsh Rarebit in the land. So being a girl brought up on the good old welsh recipes my gorgeous mother in law saw this adorable recipe book and knew it was for me. I can't wait to make the Caerphilly Cheese and Chive Scones!

Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore & Brian Bolland. Ok definitely off topic but this graphic novella is stunning. I'm a massive Alan Moore fan (dressed up as original Silk Spectre from Watchmen for my 21st) and his creative writing ability never ceases to amaze he is able to capture the darkness at the heart of a character and twist and present it in a unique way that shows some humility and vulnerability. This is ferociously backed up by Brian Bolland's meticulous attention to detail and elegant drawings making each page a work of art.

The Pooh Cook Book by Katie Stewart. This appeals to my childish side and gives me a great sense of nostalgia. Anyone who knows me knows that my dad is my hero- he taught me how to bake, how to ride a bike, how to pitch a tent, self-defense, how to make the perfect cheese sauce, he indulged in my weird imagination, steals my recipes, has a wicked sense of humour, still tries to hold my hand when I cross the road and is THE BEST at reading stories. Here is where Winnie the Pooh comes in. I had a HUGE book of all the Winnie the Pooh stories and poems and every night my dad would come home and read from this book- expertly putting on voices for different characters and inventing his own tunes for songs (and sometimes ad libbing lyrics) and it was perfection. I went to sleep happy and smiling from giggling at my dad's silliness. So when my partner spied this cookbook in a charity shop he knew I would adore it. I did, so much so a few tears of joy escaped from me. Recipes are split into different chapters; "Smackerels, Elevenses and Teas", "Provisions for Picnics and Expotitions", "Lunches and Suppers", "Dessert and Party", "Christmas Specialities" and "Hot and Cold Drinks" (how twee!!??!)

It's chock full of beautiful, heart-warming recipes that bring guarantee smiles. The recipes aren't exactly challenging your technical ability or pushing your culinary boundaries but for me its perfect- its nostalgia hitting me in the face, reminding me of my dad reading stories and teaching me how to bake. This book is my treasure.

Excuse me I'm off to make Hot Chocolate for a Blusterous Day.


No Drama xx

27 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I am so happy I found your webpage, I really found you by
    mistake, while I was browsing on Google for something else, Anyways I am here now
    and would just like to say thank you for a remarkable post and a all
    round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have
    time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep
    up the excellent work.

    Also visit my website - World Of Tanks Hack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a
    amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you!

    However, how can we communicate?

    Have a look at my homepage: Dry scalp treatments

    ReplyDelete
  4. I constantly emailed this weblog post page to all my contacts,
    because if like to read it next my contacts will too.


    Also visit my homepage ... Diarrhea Remedies

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
    Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?

    Plz respond as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. cheers

    Also visit my web-site :: bestcoconutoilforhair.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand.

    It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me.

    I'm looking forward for your next post, I'll try to get the
    hang of it!

    Feel free to surf to my web blog Unknown

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's impressive that you are getting thoughts from this post as well as from our dialogue made at this place.

    My page :: Unknown

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is needed to get set up? I'm assuming
    having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?

    I'm not very internet smart so I'm not 100% certain.
    Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

    Review my web site ... unknown

    ReplyDelete
  9. After going over a number of the blog posts on your web page, I
    seriously like your way of writing a blog. I book-marked it to
    my bookmark website list and will be checking back in the near future.

    Please visit my web site as well and let me know your opinion.


    Here is my webpage :: Microsoft points

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hiya! Quick question that's totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My blog looks weird when viewing from my apple iphone. I'm
    trying to find a theme or plugin that might be
    able to correct this problem. If you have any recommendations,
    please share. Thanks!

    Feel free to surf to my weblog; Download 7zip

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dear, are you genuinely visiting this site daily, if so then you will
    without doubt get good experience.

    Also visit my weblog; stretch marks

    ReplyDelete
  12. What i do not realize is in reality how you're now not actually a lot more well-favored than you might be right now. You are very intelligent. You understand thus significantly on the subject of this subject, produced me individually consider it from numerous varied angles. Its like women and men don't
    seem to be involved except it's something to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your personal stuffs outstanding. All the time take care of it up!

    My web-site psn code Generator

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make
    this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?

    Plz answer back as I'm looking to design my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thanks

    Also visit my blog post: permanent hair straightening

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot
    of spam remarks? If so how do you reduce it, any plugin or anything you
    can advise? I get so much lately it's driving me mad so any assistance is very much appreciated.

    Check out my blog Microsoft Office Gratuit

    ReplyDelete
  15. You need to be a part of a contest for one of the highest quality blogs online.
    I am going to highly recommend this site!

    Here is my homepage Www.Youtube.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to be suggested this website by my cousin.
    I am now not sure whether this submit is written via him as no one else recognize such certain approximately my trouble.
    You are wonderful! Thanks!

    Also visit my website ... Eco Sanctuary

    ReplyDelete
  17. This blog was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I've found something which helped me. Thanks a lot!

    Here is my website - candy crush saga hack

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this paragraph is pleasant, my sister is analyzing these things, so I am
    going to convey her.

    Also visit my homepage; Dragon City Cheat Engine

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always spent my half an hour to read this webpage's articles every day along with a mug of coffee.

    My blog post: Psn Code Generator

    ReplyDelete
  20. I drop a comment when I appreciate a article
    on a site or I have something to add to the conversation.
    Usually it is a result of the sincerness communicated in
    the article I looked at. And on this article "Compelling reading...".

    I was actually moved enough to drop a thought :-) I actually do have a couple of questions for you if it's allright. Is it only me or does it seem like some of these responses look like they are left by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing at other online social sites, I would like to keep up with anything fresh you have to post. Would you list the complete urls of all your community sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

    my webpage; pirater un compte facebook

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do not even know the way I finished up right here, however I believed
    this submit was great. I do not realize who you're however definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you happen to aren't already.

    Cheers!

    Here is my weblog Ps3 Jailbreak

    ReplyDelete
  22. My partner and I stumbled over here by a different web address and thought I might as well check things out.

    I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to looking over your web page for a
    second time.

    my site :: the interlace [http://Www.Youtube.com]

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful web site. Lots of useful info here.
    I'm sending it to a few buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks in your sweat!

    Feel free to surf to my site - world Of tanks Hack

    ReplyDelete
  24. Spot on with this write-up, I honestly believe this amazing site needs
    a great deal more attention. I'll probably be back again to read more, thanks for the info!

    Here is my webpage: Minecraft Gift Code Generator

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello my loved one! I wish to say that this article is awesome, nice written and
    come with almost all vital infos. I'd like to see more posts like this .

    my web site ... free psn codes (Www.youtube.Com)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very good blog you have here but I was curious if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics talked about
    in this article? I'd really love to be a part of community where I can get responses from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thank you!

    my web blog; codes psn gratuit

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't leave a response, but after browsing a few of the responses on "Compelling reading...". I do have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind.
    Could it be simply me or do some of the responses appear like they are
    left by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are posting at
    additional sites, I'd like to keep up with anything new you have to post. Could you post a list of all of your social networking pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

    Review my page - Minecraft Crack

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any comment, question or opinion on my blog. I'd love to hear from you and your experiences.

Thank you!