Friday, 12 October 2012

Hello my little dumplings

One of several things can puzzle a kitchen hoarder. How the hell did that set? Why won't you come out the pan? HOW MANY EGGS? But a delightful question is how does suet, flour and water taste soooo good? I am referring to of course the dumpling.

A forgotten food staple that every grandad and grandma is a culinary expert in (cue in a story about how said grandparents when they were children would have stew and dumplings. They would save the dumplings until right at the end when they would smear jam on the gravy soaked little blighters and have that for their pudding- shudder)

As the weather is considerably crappy stew and dumplings are on the menu. Now there are many many many different recipes for dumplings but I prefer a simple one (no grated frozen butter for me!);
  • 100g self-raising flour
  • 50g shredded suet
  • 2 tsp of thyme

1. In a bowl mix flour, suet and thyme together with a pinch of salt.
2. Add 3 tbsp of cold water and stir. If the dough is too dry add more water until the dough is soft and slightly sticky.
3. With floured hands divide the dough and roll into balls (8-12 depending on size)
4. Add dumplings to your stew in your casserole dish and cook on 180c for 20 minutes.

I apologise there is no picture of the finished product. We were starving.

What do you add to your dumplings? Do you have a different method? Comment and let me know, I'm all ears.

No drama xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave any comment, question or opinion on my blog. I'd love to hear from you and your experiences.

Thank you!