Thursday, 28 February 2013

A Welsh Breakfast with a side of Nostalgia

I am a nostalgia junky. I cannot wait for my next taste. I crave the feeling of nostalgia through my senses, making my toes curl with happiness.

I am a nostalgic eater. Certain smells can return memories for some people, but for me taste brings back so many memories and I can feel every moment clear as day. The taste of barley in a hearty broth reminds me of my grandad. He'd always make us broth with bacon ribs and dumplings when I was a little girl. My job would be to roll up my sleeves and make the suet dumplings, my pigtails and dungerees would be covered with flour but I'd have a sense of achievement. To this day I cannot replicate my grandad's recipe to its exact delight, which saddens me as I can't get my nostalgia hit, but makes me smile as the love my grandad put into his food cannot be carbon copied. You cannot recreate a dish that a grandad and his 5 year old granddaughter made together. The tastes are different, the experience is treasured.

So on a day when I wasn't looking for a hit of one of the happy memories from my childhood, we came across it by accident. Louis and I were wandering around Bury, we had decided to get the tram and have a good hearty walk and we would reward ourselves with breakfast. We entered a kind of non-descript cafe and sat down. I was more concerned with getting a cup of tea as I was freezing until I glanced at the menu and saw the most glorious words "Welsh Rarebit". My dad hands down makes the most amazing welsh rarebit and from a very young age introduced me to this delight and I thank him for that (my dad is also the reason why I love peanut butter and cucumber sandwiches)
I ordered the dish not expecting too much and what came was a beauty to behold.

It looked amazing. It tasted fantastic. So good that I even thanked the chef for making welsh rarebit that was so authentic and made me want to order three more plates of the stuff.
This meal made my week.

Funny what nostalgia can do isn't it??

No Drama xx

6 comments:

  1. I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This post posted at this web
    page is genuinely nice.

    Here is my weblog Refinishing hardwood floors

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great tip especially to those new to
    the blogosphere. Short but very accurate information… Thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read post!

    Look at my website :: World of tanks Hack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good info. Lucky me I ran across your website by accident (stumbleupon).

    I have bookmarked it for later!

    Feel free to surf to my web blog - 7 Zip Download

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on sites
    I stumbleupon on a daily basis. It's always exciting to read articles from other writers and use a little something from other web sites.

    Review my weblog - the interlace

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's up Dear, are you genuinely visiting this website regularly, if so afterward you will without doubt take fastidious experience.

    My weblog; World Of Tanks Hack

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can definitely see your enthusiasm within the article you write.
    The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who are
    not afraid to mention how they believe. At all times go after your heart.


    Also visit my website ... Minecraft Crack

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any comment, question or opinion on my blog. I'd love to hear from you and your experiences.

Thank you!