Thursday, 28 February 2013

Birthday Cake Bakes

My lovely Louis has gotten another year older. Woo! Of course I had to make him a cake, and usually I just make a cake I think he would really enjoy and surprise him with it. This year he made a request for my whisked vanilla cake with mascarpone cream, raspberry jam and whiskey sugar syrup. Phew!

I made the vanilla sponge by;
Ingredients;
175g/6oz caster sugar
175g/6oz self-raising flour
175g/6oz butter or marg
3 large eggs
2 tbsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 190c/375f/Gas Mark 5 and butter a cake tin.
2. In a large bowl cream the butter/marg and sugar together with a wooden spoon until light and creamy. In another bowl mix the eggs and vanilla extract (I like kirklands) together.
3. Slowly add the flour and eggs alternatively to the sugar and butter mixture, beating between each addition until the mixture is well mixed and smooth.
4. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.

I baked the cake the day before and left to cool. On the day I made a whiskey sugar syrup with a shot of whiskey a tbsp of water and 2tbsp of caster sugar. I let the ingredients warm together on a low heat whilst shaking the pan. Once the sugar has dissolved turn off the heat and leave to cool (you don't want to boil off the alcohol...oh no!). Split the cake and brush the cooled sugar syrup onto each side of the cake. As I was cheating and using raspberry jam bought from a supermarket (albeit very very nice jam) I decided to add a spoonful of the left over sugar syrup and some fresh raspberries into the jam as I wanted a bit of a kick and freshness. Spread the jam concotion onto the cake and make the mascarpone cream by mixing four tbsps of caster sugar with a tub of mascarpone, whipping double cream to stiff peaks and combining the two.

Then spread the cream onto the cake. There will be plenty left over for you to pipe a design ontop or to have leftover for scones for an afternoon tea (ohh errrr), unless you really like more filling than cake, who am I to judge, you eat your darn cake how you wish. CAKE EQUALITY!!! EQUAL RIGHTS FOR CAKE LOVERS!!!! FREEEEEDOMMMMM!!!!
Anyway...... Here is my offering....

and a sneak peek inside.....

I completed the cake with some melted chocolate designs I made the night before. I made a teeny piping bag out of baking parchment (check out this video on youtube it helped me loads) filled with slightly cooled melted dark chocolate and when crazy on a sheet of baking parchment. I made squiggles, swirls, hearts, stars, fluer de lis, zig-zags and dots. In the end we only used the best heart and may attempt of writing Louis' name (which I was rather proud of).
Whilst I was dusting the cake with icing sugar the rest of the dark chocolate creations fell victim to a hungry Louis. I was too busy to hear their pleas for help and only noticed when there was a single solitary chocolate dot left to tell me the sordid tale of how his friends had been devoured by a monster until the birthday creature came to finish him off. The horror!

Happy Birthday Louis.
I Love You.

No Drama x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave any comment, question or opinion on my blog. I'd love to hear from you and your experiences.

Thank you!